If you liked our Blooming Bread Recipe, you will like this unique lemon pistachio bread recipe.
- 2 Lemons
- 1/2 c Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 c Sugar
- 1/4 ts Baking soda
- 1 1/4 c Flour
- 3/4 c Pistachio nuts finely -chopped
To make Gaze
- 1/3 c Sugar
- 1/2 ts Salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 c Butter softened
- 1/3 c -water
- 3 Eggs Cut large,
- thick strips of lemon peel from one of the lemons.
- Place sugar in a bowl add strips of peel.
- Rub mixture together with fingers to flavor sugar with lemon.
- Grate rind from other lemon. Juice lemons to get 1/4 cup. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9x5x3″ loaf pan.
- Stir together flour, nuts, salt & grated lemon rind on a piece of waxed paper.
- Remove lemon strips from sugar dis- card.
- Beat together sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir together buttermilk and baking soda in small bowl until well mixed.
- Stir in reserved 1/4 c. lemon juice. Mix into butter mixture.
- Gently stir in flour mixture just until ingredients are blended.
- Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 70-80 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Ten minutes before bread is baked, combine sugar, lemon juice and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Lower heat simmer 4 minutes.
- When bread is baked, immediately poke holes all over top with wooden skewer.
- Slowly spoon glaze over top of bread. Let stand in pan 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides carefully turn bread out onto wire rack.
- Cool completely, right side up, before slicing.
- Serve with mock clotted cream, if you wish.