With the Indians home opener coming up on April 8th, I wanted to take this opportunity to share some of my favorite food and brew places around the Jake! Yes, I still call it the Jake even though it is technically “Progressive Field.”
Here are six of my favorite places to get a tasty bite to eat and a refreshing craft beer before the game!
- Greenhouse Tavern–My snack of choice before heading to the game has to be the frites! The good news is they come in three different ways. First, the standard Pommes Frites have raw garlic, rosemary & garlic aioli. If you want to step it up a notch they also have the Gravy Frites. These are pommes frites with mozzarella cheese curd and brown gravy. For the ultimate experience they also have the Animal Frites. These pommes frites come topped with bacon, two fried eggs, whole grain mustard, mozzarella cheese curd and brown gravy. To wash all that down, don’t worry, Greenhouse Tavern has plenty of craft beer. They always have two drafts that they brewed in collaboration with Victory Brewing on tap, plus and plenty of bottled and canned craft beer favorites.
- The Winking Lizard–My personal favorite from the menu at the Winking Lizard is the Buffalo Chicken Wrap. This wrap comes with slices of chicken breast covered in the Winking Lizards hot sauce and rolled up in soft tortilla with lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese. The Winking Lizard is one of the best places to get a quality craft beer anywhere in Cleveland. For the most up to date list of what is on tap, check out the monthly placemat which lists every draft beer they have on tap. (Rotating Draft selections change monthly.)
- Winks Bar and Grille–Wink’s is a new Winking Lizard concept that opened in late 2012. Here you’ll find a craft beer list that is Ohio heavy, with 33 different brews on tap. They also have a wonderful Beer Cheese Dip that hits the spot before watching the Tribe! The Beer Cheese Dip is a spicy hop cheese dip that is made with a local IPA, spicy seasonings, and red pepper. It is finished with aged white cheddar and cream cheese and is served with garlic crostinis.
- Noodle Cat–If you are looking for some tasty Japanese-American food look no further. My favorite food choice would have to be the Steam Buns. With so many choices it is hard to pick just one flavor, but don’t worry, you can mix and match! Beer wise, Noodle Cat does a nice job carrying various cans and drafts. You’ll want to check out the menu before hand to see what they have.
- Great Lakes Brewing–The best part about going to Great Lakes Brewing before a Tribe game is they will shuttle you to and from the game. The shuttle is only $1 per person and runs continuously runs 45 minutes before and after the game, except on Sunday’s. (Offer is only valid with additional Brewpub, Bar and/or Gift Shop purchase). While you are there get an order of the fish and chips, which is Alaskan cod fried in Edmund Fitzgerald Porter batter with a side of pub fries. Beer wise, be sure to check out what they have on tap as pub only exclusives, you don’t want to miss these!
- Tremont Tap House–-This one is not within walking distance, but the great food and huge draft beer selection make this worth the 5-10 minute drive! I love the Buttermilk Blue Cheese and Applewood Smoked Bacon Burger paired with any of the fresh hoppy IPAs they have on tap.